Who are the 78ers?
It wasn’t until 1997 that a small group of people from the 1978 events came together to plan our commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the Mardi Gras parade in 1998. This group became known as the 78ers and since 1998 has led each year’s parade.
The 78ers are the participants in the events that took place in 1978 that include:
• The first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade on June 24th, 1978
• Protest at Darlinghurst and Central Police Stations, 25th June 1978
• Protest at Central Court Sydney, 26th June 1978
• March from Martin Place to Darlinghurst Police Station, 15th July 1978
• March to Taylor Square and Hyde Park, 27th August 1978
Are you a 78er?
If you participated in any of these events, we invite you to become a member of our association and be added to the ‘Who was there in 1978’ list.
Who was there in 1978?
If you have information that would assist in keeping this list current, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org