Welcome to First Mardi Gras, an incorporated community association for 78ers.
78ers are the participants in the first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras held on 24 June 1978 and subsequent events.
First Mardi Gras was formed in April 2017 to support participation by and engagement with a broad range of 78ers in the lead up to the 40th Anniversary of Mardi Gras in 2018. Our organisation aims to ensure representation of 78ers through democratic processes including election of the Management Committee by members.
Our strategic objectives are to:
CELEBRATE our HISTORY
- Raise awareness of the 78ers' role as the foundation generation of Mardi Gras
- Educate the broader community on the 40 years of LGBTIQ history that followed the first Mardi Gras
INSPIRE OUR COMMUNITY
- Inspire younger LGBTIQ Australians to take collective action about the things they care about
- Showcase the progress on LGBTIQ rights made in NSW and across Australia in a way that can be replicated across our global community
FIGHT FOR OUR FUTURE
- Increase understanding of human rights issues currently affecting LGBTIQ communities within Australia and internationally
- As an ageing community, advocate for appropriate support and services
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and to Elders both past and present.